Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Magic Sunset Dinner on Rethymno Beach!

The need for another trip to the emergency centre for me yesterday, meant we had to leave the convoy for two days once again. Then the truck was going nowhere because Dale left the fridge on and drained the batteries once again, so we took the opportunity to catch up on a bit of washing, log on, maintenance, while the 2 amp charger supplied by the caravan park slowly charged them up!

We booked into the caravan park called "Elizabeth" after its American owner. It was a run down park, but did we find help and friendliness like we'd never seen before.

One of those magic dinners for two was served at our request on the beach, alone with just the sun going down ( 8.35 pm) over the Old Harbour Town of Rethymno!

I don't know about you, but I'm starting to feel "hoodwinked" about this trip and it's starting to feel like "the most expensive way to drive through Europe". No attempt has been made at all to get in touch with locals, RSL bodies, military, truck or car clubs, to let them know we are coming and be able to offer their hospitality to us.

Lang doesn't believe in convoys, which would be another way of attracting attention to us. So I don't blame you if you think this blogspot thing is boring.

Today I had a personal lesson about how to "convoy" from Lang. I was driving behind him and kept pulling the speed back to hopefully let the others catch up. He would pull over, and every time I would catch him, he'd take off again. Upon reaching the cemetry (destination), he came over and asked "Are you having trouble with your truck," "Is the truck going alright?" "Yes, why?" I replied. "Couldn't you keep up?" When I explained the reason why, I got the lecture like others before me both individually and collectively have, about how a convoy works. I explained that there is no point in tearing ahead not giving the others a chance and why not take advantage of a photo shoot now and again to give them a chance. Only four of us had made it!

Two points arise, sometimes we know little about our destination, and any of the following; no map, no direction, no name and address. No one checks if everyone is ready, or can get out of the park, or is broken down. Lang just takes off, leaving the convoy to its mercy!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen and Dale,
    Hope you find your way back home to Marburg. We're waiting for your happy smile to return. Take care both of you
    Russell and Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, we're in Urbino! Italy! How about that? Many thanks. Please say Hello to David and Bernadette, Bill and Glenda, Gary and Ann, Les and Daphne, Robyn, and Ken and anyone else!! Love Karen and Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys - Heard about the Fiat Club - I can imagine Potsy was beside herself (she has a little new Fiat 500 at home, but really, in her heart, she sees herself in a 1950s model with a headscarf and mysterious sunglasses....Anyhow, love keeping up with the news (we didn't hear about any near misses....)
    Love to Potsy, Ken and Zeb from Fiona, Kate, Jessamy, Sally, Peter, Lil, Nanny and Grandpa and the rest of the whole crew... and alright, might be missing them slightly by now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. 15th June 2009
    Bugger, I missed you guys. Many, many thanks. I would've loved to pass your comment on to Potsy. Everything you said about Potsy is correct. She fell in love with the little Fiats. I over heard her saying that she really loved the trip. She did it hard travelling in that jeep and putting a tent up on most nights. She's one who deserves a medal for her efforts. She didn't show it, but she was obviously disappointed that she left her "garden party" French resistance outfit behind. Potsy was always excited about what was happening on the blog and twice asked me to do the story about Ken sliding out of his sleeping bag and throwing away his newly purchased stretcher! Time is the problem. I would've loved to have written it, had I known you lot were out there following along! Sorry. Potsy and Ken hadn't heard of the Blog before they left and probably still don't know how time consuming it is, and the trouble I had trying to find internet cafes etc, but I did my best! Love, Karen. Give my best to Potsy!

    ReplyDelete