Sunday, April 19, 2009

Anzac Convoy Group Email

6.30 am THIS MORNING

Mobile call from Cameron McFadyen, “Ha, Ha, Karen I think you had better check out your blogsite?” Karen, “Why?” “Well, when I opened on the link in your email it opened up on a live chat sex site!” said Cameron.

My reaction was one of disbelief and then denial, how did this happen, why me?
I’ll never know how long had lapsed between Cam opening on the blog address and the time he rang to kindly notify me, but he was wondering how the rest of the mail recipients were waking up to my newsy email?

He tried cutting and pasting the link to another computer and the link worked properly. Cam does a bit of editing on the Heritage Truck Association club website and he could see that I had corrected a typo in the web address when preparing the email. Those cheeky devils had picked up on the error and had redirected 107 emails on my friends list, to one of those sites “you know are there, but are never game to click on them”.

Cameron told me I’d have to delete my web site and start again, get in touch with Norton’s and Bigpond etc. Whilst he was thinking about it, I rang my daughter who had the computer unplugged, Toly Kijaska who was sleeping the night shift off, then Lang Kidby who got very excited about it, wondered why Bev hadn’t told him about it, and quickly set about investigating it for himself. Lang confirmed that yes he had entered another website, and because he seemed extremely jolly about his predicament, it buffered the shock I was experiencing.

I’d sent the email to my friends in every organisaton, the church, celebral palsy, the fruit club, Marburg dancing partners, truck and tractor clubs, politicians, friends and relatives local and overseas, government organizations, the press – I was becoming deliriously panic stricken.

A quick check on my mailbox confirmed that early risers had also gone into shock and instantly tried to inform me of the folly of my ways. How was I going to cope with the flack I was going to get from this?

Following Cameron’s advice, I cut and pasted my web address and quickly redrafted a new email correctly pointing out that you would only click on the blogspot address in my previous email if you wanted one thing only!

Thanks to Cameron McFadyen, Graeme Person, David Freeland, Leo Caunter, Tony Wright, Tony Butt, Arun Chacko, Becky Carroll, for their timely feedback. Luckily the church replied “I do not know you please remove my address from your book”, and I’m happy to remain anonymous.

Setting up my blogspot has been a huge learning curve, I am having all sorts of editing dramas and are not at all happy with the presentation. I do not have HTML knowledge. I had wanted it all to be perfect before informing you all that I was up and running. Last night at midnight, I thought, “well, this is it, time to go for broke, fes up, and get some feedback from you before I leave!

Honestly, I’m sorry, how will I ever live it down? Seeing is believing!Happy computing, Karen Bracken

2 comments:

  1. Look forward to your next post.
    Safe travelling xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Karen - Potsy's daughter here. Heard you guys are having a great time, and travelling well. Please give my love to Mum, Zeb and of course, Herb, and tell them we're all great..Keep up the blog posts - I've been sending the link to everyone I know, so there are a lot of people in Victoria watching your progress. Cheers, Fiona

    ReplyDelete